PMA Meeting Minutes 1/17/2023

Norwood PMA Meeting 1/17/2023

Prescott Elementary School  7-8:30 p.m.

Attendees:

Kelly Farewell

Karen Guarin

Dan Caparrotta

Jane Yu

Kristen Faller

Wendy Keats

Claire Deeley

  1. Vice President Karen Guarin discussed the need for volunteers to assist with this week’s Coakley Middle School concert.  Discussed the Fine Arts semi formal scheduled for 1/27/23 at Four Points Sheraton and whether or not invitations were sent to all Fine Arts students since it seemed many didn’t know about the event.  Parent volunteers needed to chaperone and decorate the hall for the semi formal.  Discussion of events and rehearsals (high school) not being added to the Fine Arts calendar, and therefore not on the PMA website, so families don’t know when events and rehearsals are being held.  Karen will follow up with Jeff Kerr on these items.  Question of how students going to the ACDA national concert in February is being paid for needs to be directed to Jeff Kerr for additional information.
  2. Secretary Kelly Farewell discussed minutes from December meeting which were approved.
  3. Treasurer Jane Yu gave financial report which was approved.  Merchandise purchasing is steady, especially when we have items in stock at concerts and events.  May need to place another merchandise order and include smaller sizes.
  4. Ways and Means.  Considering the Fun Pasta fundraiser with Steve and Linda Lee taking the lead. May also consider adding a 50/50 raffle to the Jazz Night.  Linda looked into car wash tentatively Saturday 5/20, but will need students to help. PMA has sold water/candy, and even pizza at Pops Night and has done well with fundraising that way.  May consider shout outs for Pops Night to raise money as well, either just written notes, or option of artificial flowers that Jane is looking into for us.
  5. No updates yet on summer music camp. No details yet on when Jazz Night will be held, but location should be Norwood High School.
  6. New Business: Madrigals and Celtic strings sent their thanks to PMA for funding their luncheon in December.  Discussed need for parents of younger students to volunteer to take the board positions for next year (president, vice president, treasurer and secretary).  Must be nominated by April and voted on in the May meeting, which are all coming up very quickly.
  7. Adjourned at 8:05 p.m.

PMA Meeting Minutes 12/20/2022

Norwood PMA Meeting 12/20/2022

Balch Elementary School  7-8:30 p.m.

Attendees:

Kelly Farewell

Jeff Kerr

Kim Smith

Karen Guarin

Siuyien Mathews

Claire Deeley

Wendy Keats

  1. Report on Madrigal Banquet (Siuyien Mathews): First time it was held at Knights of Columbus.  114 attendees, an increase from 2021. Raffle was a big success using the QR code and accepting cash.  Pointsettia prices were increased, and they didn’t sell as many as expected ($15 up from $10).  Lewis’ provided food.  No deficit this year.  Siuyien has a binder that was handed down to her, and she will update it with the latest tasks and workflows to pass on to the next parent(s) that help run the event, especially since this was the first time it was held in this new venue with this particular caterer.  It was very successful.  Madrigals have several performances in December as well including a tour of elementary schools.
  2. Jeff Kerr, Director of Fine Arts: Winter concerts (some have occurred, some are this week, some like the middle school, will occur in January). May need chaperones and to sell PMA merchandise on 1/12 and 1/19/23. A long-term substitute teacher has been hired for the middle school music department.  Hoping to open events at the high school, like Jazz Classic/Jazz Night, more to the public by maybe getting NCM involved to do a story on the events.  Work is ongoing with John Quinn to pick a musical earlier.  Students involved in All Eastern/All National festivals were recognized at the recent school committee meeting.
  3. Karen Guarin, Vice President’s report: Fine Arts Semi Formal is Friday, 1/27/23 6-10 at Four Points Sheraton, Norwood.  Advertising and ticket sales has to be done through Fine Arts office.  Will need to do that as soon as school resumes to leave time for students to get notice, purchase tickets, and plan for event.  Will need to figure out chaperones from high school Fine Arts teachers (or other Fine Arts in the district). Jazz Night probably in April, and we can host at high school, add twinkle lights, etc.  Jazz Classic is Thursday, 2/16/23. MAJE state finals is held at high school and middle school usually first week of March.  Motion was made and approved to pay for the luncheon for the Celtic Strings and Madrigals at Lewis’ for last week of school in December.
  4. Kelly Farewell, Secretary.  Minutes from 11/15/22 were approved.  Discussion of email lists to distribute to all music parents.  Currently parent emails are collected through Fine Arts teachers to students in Google form.  Language has to be clear that it’s okay to share with PMA, though. This will be discussed again at future meetings.
  5. Treasurer’s report: Jane was unable to attend but provided notes on expenditures and deposits. Treasurer’s report was reviewed and approved.
  6. Motion made and approved to replace marching band cart’s wheels.
  7. Motion made and approved to replace tire on golf cart.
  8. Discussion of a fundraiser in late winter/early spring. A giving day needs planning and there isn’t time for that this year.  Fun Pasta fundraiser may be an option.
  9. New business: Camp Tapawingo–Jeff Kerr is still considering whether this will continue or will be moved to a lower cost/closer location that’s not as disruptive to summer schedules for teachers and students.  Need to try to find out what PMA contributed in the past for music camp per student, and stipends for teachers.
  10. NAFME/ACDA festivals.  In the past, district has contributed for students that attended NAFME, but this is first year for ACDA (all choral), and there has been no contribution from district for this. Logistics being figured out, and may need a vendor that handles all student travel for these types of trips.
  11. Adjourned at 8:50 p.m.

PMA Meeting Minutes 11/15/2022

Norwood PMA Meeting 11/15/2022

Coakley Middle School Library 7-8:45 p.m.

Attendees:

Kelly Farewell

Siuyien Mathews

Junrong Yu

Karen Guarin

Kim Smith

Jeff Kerr

Sherri Munro

Dany Abdallah

Jeff Kerr, Director of Fine Arts: Next PMA meeting planned for Balch Library on 12/20/22. Need some updates on the PMA website where Mrs. Moen’s name still appears so PMA secretary will update those.  Search for a long term music substitute for Coakley Middle School to cover a teacher’s upcoming leave of absence is ongoing.  Congratulations to NHS Marching Band for receiving a gold medal at the MICCA Marching Band State Finals in Quincy.  Still looking into covering registration fees music teachers pay for MMEA through school budget.  Looking into using some of budget for additional technology resources for music teachers.  Considering Camp Tapawingo for marching band camp, but distance and financial burden are very real concerns.  Considering other options like Nature’s Classroom or local small residential colleges to give feel of sleep away camp but that would provide more access and would be less of a burden for families.  Proposed covering registration fee for the four students accepted into the ACDA National Honors Chorus (first time we’ve sent students there).  Motion unanimously approved to cover $350 for each of four students.  Proposed having PMA front money for Celtic Strings to purchase t shirts and sweatshirts and then PMA would be paid back as these are sold.  Motion was unanimously approved.

Vice President Karen Guarin gave an update on marching band in holiday parade the weekend after Thanksgiving and the end of the season party on 11/27 to be held at Emmanuel Lutheran Church Hall.  Discussion of Fine Arts Semi Formal (formerly known as Snowflake Ball) possibly 1/27 or 2/10 at Four Points Sheraton.  Jeff Kerr will check with his department and give feedback on best date.  Seems from the past that the main chaperones were teachers, and only a few parents (so that students don’t feel uncomfortable or not want to attend if their own parents are chaperones). Also need to keep cost down for students.  Discussion of Jazz Night in April 2023 and cost/affordability/access/equity.  Could consider Fallout Shelter, or change the nature of the event and host at the high school potentially with BT ALC Big Band.  Jeff Kerr will discuss further with Mr. Conant and get back to PMA so we can secure the location.

Secretary Kelly Farewell gave update on new calendars being posted to the PMA website with Sherri Munro’s assistance.  Minutes from last meeting were unanimously approved.  Discussion of updating website to be more user-friendly, remove references to Mrs. Moen, and remove outdated material.

Treasurer Jane Yu gave an update on financials, and reminded us that previous secretary will file taxes for PMA. Consider getting a mailbox in the Fine Arts Dept office to save money in the future on the cost of a P.O. Box (just renewed $258 annually, paid through 11/30/2023).  Website cost went up significantly as well (Dreamhost).  Was $15, now $22.95 a month.  Paypal also was paid annually.  In the future, consider these annual costs for PMA and see if there are ways to lower those.  Financial report unanimously approved. Dany Abdallah also looked into pricing on accounting software options, and the group discussed these and decided to use Excel for the time being.

President Kim Smith led a discussion of fundraising.  Maybe a Giving Day, or fundraising events. Group decided that a fundraising subcommittee/ways and means committee should take this topic on as a task.

 

PMA Meeting Minutes 10/18/2022

Norwood PMA Meeting 10/18/2022

Norwood High School Library 7-8:30 p.m.

Attendees:

Kelly Farewell (note taker)

Karen and Mike Guarin

Kim Smith

Jeff Kerr

Jane Yu

Siuyien Mathews

Amanda Warner

Claire Deeley

Kristen Faller

Steve Conant

Wendy Keats

Dany Abdallah

Mollie Caravello

  1. Welcome & Introductions:  President Kim Smith led, and all attendees introduced themselves, indicated their students’ connections to the Fine Arts program.
  2. Jeff Kerr, Director of Fine Arts: Music department is very grateful for parent participation in marching band home show 10/16/22. Also grateful for assistance from NPMA for coordinating payment for Mean Girls at Providence Performing Arts Center, potentially Les Miserables in November. Poll has been sent to music teachers in district to see what professional organizations they belong to and what dues requirements are since many have to belong to organizations like MMEA in order for district students to participate in festivals. Still working on filling stipend positions in middle school.  Moving at least the 5th grade honor band to a “King Philip” model where there are auditions, but it’s more of a festival rather than a weekly rehearsal requirement.  May do something similar with 5th grade honor chorus.
  3. Vice President Karen Guarin gave an update on bylaws indicating board members must be a parent or guardian of a student currently in the program. Reminder that 3 of the 4 current board members have graduating seniors this year, so they cannot remain on the board at the end of this term.  Nominations for new board members needs to be completed in April. By now, music teachers have Google forms with parent emails on them and Steve Conant may be able to help us with that mailing list.  Karen reached out to elementary school PTOs to see if a representative from the PMA could speak at upcoming meetings, but hasn’t heard back yet.  Marching band home show went well and had many volunteers on 10/16/22.  50/50 raffle raised $1095 using the new QR code method. Informal debrief meeting/lessons learned on 10/25 6-7 NHS cafeteria.  Marching band seniors will wear costumes to 10/20/22 rehearsal to be judged, and light snacks will be provided to continue that tradition.  Brief discussion of marching band holiday party on the Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend.  Location not set yet, but could potentially use Emanuel Lutheran Church.
  4. Secretary Kelly Farewell gave an update on website.  Minutes from September meeting were approved. In future, hard copy of minutes from previous meeting will be provided for review.  Approved changing the February and April meeting dates so they don’t fall during school vacation weeks. Agreed to update website with those, and with link to district wide calendar that Jeff Kerr can provide.
  5. Upcoming events: Jazz Night, Fine Arts Semi Formal (Snowflake Ball) have not been scheduled.  2/16/23 is Jazz Classic.  Madrigal banquet is 12/2/22.  Discussion of location, cost of food, and potentially having a 50/50 raffle or gift baskets.  Motion was made and approved to pick up deficit if there is one for the madrigal banquet.
  6. Treasurer Jane Yu gave an update on finances and treasurer’s report was approved.  Fees for two returned checks.  Considering a request to bank to waive the fees. Still working with former treasurer Tracey Jones who will file taxes for the group. Old version of Quickbooks on a thumb drive, but Dany Abdallah may be able to give suggestions on other desktop options. 50/50 raffle was much easier this year with the QR code at the marching band home show, but we need to research what rules we need to follow in the future if we continue to have 50/50 raffles at other functions.
  7. Brief discussion of student lesson scholarships and individual student accounts but that will be brought up at a future meeting when we have more time to discuss it.
  8. Pending motion: Marching band motion to replace wheels on pit equipment.
  9. Discussion of having someone in charge of social media and advertising for various musical events.  Jeff Kerr is in the process of setting up a district wide Instagram account, perhaps Facebook as well and considering the idea of a student “take over” day to follow a day in the life of one of our musicians/vocalists.

PMA Meeting Minutes 9/20/2022

Norwood PMA Meeting 9/20/2022

Norwood High School Library 7-8:30 p.m.

Attendees:

Kelly Farewell (note taker)

Karen and Mike Guarin

Kim Smith

Jeff Kerr

Jane Yu

Eneida Shkurti

Wendy Keats

Sherri Munro

Siuyien Mathews

Steve Conant

  1. Welcome & Introductions:  President Kim Smith led, and all attendees introduced themselves, indicated their students’ connections to the Fine Arts program, and described the positions they’ve held in connection to the music program. “Families make music together” being the new brand for PMA. Overall theme is that many of the roles are filled by parents of oldest students, many of whom are graduating.  Need to cultivate parents of younger students to join and participate to keep PMA going.
  2. Introduction to the new Director of Fine Arts, Jeff Kerr: Jeff Kerr shared his background, and expressed his gratitude for all that the PMA parents and association does across the district.  He also shared his vision for the program, how the PMA can continue to support our students, and ideas about improving participation from elementary through high school. The PMA meetings will move throughout the district over the course of the academic year to attract new families. He is interested in a revamp of the website making it more current and useful including an overview of the program, and hopefully including a link to a district-wide calendar (which has already been shared with Fine Arts faculty).  He has a background in technology and can also assist PMA with updates.  May want to institute “QArt codes,” with QR codes to artwork, to music, etc., and try to have field trips to live shows to inspire students.  Perhaps have a “student takeover day” for social media to show a day in the life of a Fine Arts student in Norwood to generate student interest. Mrs. Moen submitted some grants before retiring, and with that 10 new instruments will be purchased (trumpet, flute, alto sax, clarinet).
  3. Vice President’s report:  Karen Guarin reported on Norwood Day booth that the PMA hosted all day.  Some merchandise sales ($260), many questions about piano lessons, but a steady stream of visitors.  She also discussed having a PMA presence at NHS and Coakley open houses.  We missed the opportunity to be present at the elementary school instrument distribution drive by event (roughly 300 families), but will make note of it for next year’s board to have on their calendars.
  4. Secretary’s report:  Kelly Farewell gave a broad overview of website updates that can be done, and the group reviewed the open PMA board roles that can be filled.  Updates to be made and posted to the website this week.
  5. Treasurer’s report:  Jane Yu gave a brief treasurer’s report.  The position is still in transition from the previous treasurer. We do receive funds from AmazonSmile donations.  It’s posted on PMA website, but not well publicized.   Motion was approved to donate to $50 to Norwood Post Prom committee brochure.  Motion was approved to purchase four 4×8 vinyl props for the marching band season for a total of $600.  Motion was approved to spend up to $5,000 for new merchandise to sell at events since we frequently are asked for sizes we no longer have. Confirmed that outgoing treasurer Tracey Jones will file taxes.
  6. President’s report:  Kim Smith is building an email distribution list.  Also discussed the MICCA Marching Band home show taking place 10/16/22, including the building and grounds permit, temporary food permit, donation from Costco and/or BJs and student guides (sign up sheets to Steve Conant and choral teacher). Paul Campbell will handle power.  Also setting up PMA alumni mentors to show upcoming PMA members how to perform these roles. Need to get the date on the calendar for Jazz Night, and start looking into equity and the cost of the event, venue, etc.
  7. New business:  Discussed the use of Squareup.com, Venmo, PayPal, and/or a QR code for donations and raffles since so many people no longer carry cash.  For Home Show, Wendy Keats be in charge of 50/50 and will look into RallyUp as a non-cash option, possibly making it possible for the winner not to have to stay to end of show to be chosen as winner.  Ed Ferris also has 3 SquareUp devices that can be used. Discussed social media presence and Jeff Kerr can assist with that once he is more familiar with what the district’s policy is. Attendees completed their CORI forms and Jeff can submit on their behalf.