PMA Meeting Minutes 11/15/2022

Norwood PMA Meeting 11/15/2022

Coakley Middle School Library 7-8:45 p.m.

Attendees:

Kelly Farewell

Siuyien Mathews

Junrong Yu

Karen Guarin

Kim Smith

Jeff Kerr

Sherri Munro

Dany Abdallah

Jeff Kerr, Director of Fine Arts: Next PMA meeting planned for Balch Library on 12/20/22. Need some updates on the PMA website where Mrs. Moen’s name still appears so PMA secretary will update those.  Search for a long term music substitute for Coakley Middle School to cover a teacher’s upcoming leave of absence is ongoing.  Congratulations to NHS Marching Band for receiving a gold medal at the MICCA Marching Band State Finals in Quincy.  Still looking into covering registration fees music teachers pay for MMEA through school budget.  Looking into using some of budget for additional technology resources for music teachers.  Considering Camp Tapawingo for marching band camp, but distance and financial burden are very real concerns.  Considering other options like Nature’s Classroom or local small residential colleges to give feel of sleep away camp but that would provide more access and would be less of a burden for families.  Proposed covering registration fee for the four students accepted into the ACDA National Honors Chorus (first time we’ve sent students there).  Motion unanimously approved to cover $350 for each of four students.  Proposed having PMA front money for Celtic Strings to purchase t shirts and sweatshirts and then PMA would be paid back as these are sold.  Motion was unanimously approved.

Vice President Karen Guarin gave an update on marching band in holiday parade the weekend after Thanksgiving and the end of the season party on 11/27 to be held at Emmanuel Lutheran Church Hall.  Discussion of Fine Arts Semi Formal (formerly known as Snowflake Ball) possibly 1/27 or 2/10 at Four Points Sheraton.  Jeff Kerr will check with his department and give feedback on best date.  Seems from the past that the main chaperones were teachers, and only a few parents (so that students don’t feel uncomfortable or not want to attend if their own parents are chaperones). Also need to keep cost down for students.  Discussion of Jazz Night in April 2023 and cost/affordability/access/equity.  Could consider Fallout Shelter, or change the nature of the event and host at the high school potentially with BT ALC Big Band.  Jeff Kerr will discuss further with Mr. Conant and get back to PMA so we can secure the location.

Secretary Kelly Farewell gave update on new calendars being posted to the PMA website with Sherri Munro’s assistance.  Minutes from last meeting were unanimously approved.  Discussion of updating website to be more user-friendly, remove references to Mrs. Moen, and remove outdated material.

Treasurer Jane Yu gave an update on financials, and reminded us that previous secretary will file taxes for PMA. Consider getting a mailbox in the Fine Arts Dept office to save money in the future on the cost of a P.O. Box (just renewed $258 annually, paid through 11/30/2023).  Website cost went up significantly as well (Dreamhost).  Was $15, now $22.95 a month.  Paypal also was paid annually.  In the future, consider these annual costs for PMA and see if there are ways to lower those.  Financial report unanimously approved. Dany Abdallah also looked into pricing on accounting software options, and the group discussed these and decided to use Excel for the time being.

President Kim Smith led a discussion of fundraising.  Maybe a Giving Day, or fundraising events. Group decided that a fundraising subcommittee/ways and means committee should take this topic on as a task.

 

PMA Meeting Minutes 10/18/2022

Norwood PMA Meeting 10/18/2022

Norwood High School Library 7-8:30 p.m.

Attendees:

Kelly Farewell (note taker)

Karen and Mike Guarin

Kim Smith

Jeff Kerr

Jane Yu

Siuyien Mathews

Amanda Warner

Claire Deeley

Kristen Faller

Steve Conant

Wendy Keats

Dany Abdallah

Mollie Caravello

  1. Welcome & Introductions:  President Kim Smith led, and all attendees introduced themselves, indicated their students’ connections to the Fine Arts program.
  2. Jeff Kerr, Director of Fine Arts: Music department is very grateful for parent participation in marching band home show 10/16/22. Also grateful for assistance from NPMA for coordinating payment for Mean Girls at Providence Performing Arts Center, potentially Les Miserables in November. Poll has been sent to music teachers in district to see what professional organizations they belong to and what dues requirements are since many have to belong to organizations like MMEA in order for district students to participate in festivals. Still working on filling stipend positions in middle school.  Moving at least the 5th grade honor band to a “King Philip” model where there are auditions, but it’s more of a festival rather than a weekly rehearsal requirement.  May do something similar with 5th grade honor chorus.
  3. Vice President Karen Guarin gave an update on bylaws indicating board members must be a parent or guardian of a student currently in the program. Reminder that 3 of the 4 current board members have graduating seniors this year, so they cannot remain on the board at the end of this term.  Nominations for new board members needs to be completed in April. By now, music teachers have Google forms with parent emails on them and Steve Conant may be able to help us with that mailing list.  Karen reached out to elementary school PTOs to see if a representative from the PMA could speak at upcoming meetings, but hasn’t heard back yet.  Marching band home show went well and had many volunteers on 10/16/22.  50/50 raffle raised $1095 using the new QR code method. Informal debrief meeting/lessons learned on 10/25 6-7 NHS cafeteria.  Marching band seniors will wear costumes to 10/20/22 rehearsal to be judged, and light snacks will be provided to continue that tradition.  Brief discussion of marching band holiday party on the Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend.  Location not set yet, but could potentially use Emanuel Lutheran Church.
  4. Secretary Kelly Farewell gave an update on website.  Minutes from September meeting were approved. In future, hard copy of minutes from previous meeting will be provided for review.  Approved changing the February and April meeting dates so they don’t fall during school vacation weeks. Agreed to update website with those, and with link to district wide calendar that Jeff Kerr can provide.
  5. Upcoming events: Jazz Night, Fine Arts Semi Formal (Snowflake Ball) have not been scheduled.  2/16/23 is Jazz Classic.  Madrigal banquet is 12/2/22.  Discussion of location, cost of food, and potentially having a 50/50 raffle or gift baskets.  Motion was made and approved to pick up deficit if there is one for the madrigal banquet.
  6. Treasurer Jane Yu gave an update on finances and treasurer’s report was approved.  Fees for two returned checks.  Considering a request to bank to waive the fees. Still working with former treasurer Tracey Jones who will file taxes for the group. Old version of Quickbooks on a thumb drive, but Dany Abdallah may be able to give suggestions on other desktop options. 50/50 raffle was much easier this year with the QR code at the marching band home show, but we need to research what rules we need to follow in the future if we continue to have 50/50 raffles at other functions.
  7. Brief discussion of student lesson scholarships and individual student accounts but that will be brought up at a future meeting when we have more time to discuss it.
  8. Pending motion: Marching band motion to replace wheels on pit equipment.
  9. Discussion of having someone in charge of social media and advertising for various musical events.  Jeff Kerr is in the process of setting up a district wide Instagram account, perhaps Facebook as well and considering the idea of a student “take over” day to follow a day in the life of one of our musicians/vocalists.

PMA Meeting Minutes 9/20/2022

Norwood PMA Meeting 9/20/2022

Norwood High School Library 7-8:30 p.m.

Attendees:

Kelly Farewell (note taker)

Karen and Mike Guarin

Kim Smith

Jeff Kerr

Jane Yu

Eneida Shkurti

Wendy Keats

Sherri Munro

Siuyien Mathews

Steve Conant

  1. Welcome & Introductions:  President Kim Smith led, and all attendees introduced themselves, indicated their students’ connections to the Fine Arts program, and described the positions they’ve held in connection to the music program. “Families make music together” being the new brand for PMA. Overall theme is that many of the roles are filled by parents of oldest students, many of whom are graduating.  Need to cultivate parents of younger students to join and participate to keep PMA going.
  2. Introduction to the new Director of Fine Arts, Jeff Kerr: Jeff Kerr shared his background, and expressed his gratitude for all that the PMA parents and association does across the district.  He also shared his vision for the program, how the PMA can continue to support our students, and ideas about improving participation from elementary through high school. The PMA meetings will move throughout the district over the course of the academic year to attract new families. He is interested in a revamp of the website making it more current and useful including an overview of the program, and hopefully including a link to a district-wide calendar (which has already been shared with Fine Arts faculty).  He has a background in technology and can also assist PMA with updates.  May want to institute “QArt codes,” with QR codes to artwork, to music, etc., and try to have field trips to live shows to inspire students.  Perhaps have a “student takeover day” for social media to show a day in the life of a Fine Arts student in Norwood to generate student interest. Mrs. Moen submitted some grants before retiring, and with that 10 new instruments will be purchased (trumpet, flute, alto sax, clarinet).
  3. Vice President’s report:  Karen Guarin reported on Norwood Day booth that the PMA hosted all day.  Some merchandise sales ($260), many questions about piano lessons, but a steady stream of visitors.  She also discussed having a PMA presence at NHS and Coakley open houses.  We missed the opportunity to be present at the elementary school instrument distribution drive by event (roughly 300 families), but will make note of it for next year’s board to have on their calendars.
  4. Secretary’s report:  Kelly Farewell gave a broad overview of website updates that can be done, and the group reviewed the open PMA board roles that can be filled.  Updates to be made and posted to the website this week.
  5. Treasurer’s report:  Jane Yu gave a brief treasurer’s report.  The position is still in transition from the previous treasurer. We do receive funds from AmazonSmile donations.  It’s posted on PMA website, but not well publicized.   Motion was approved to donate to $50 to Norwood Post Prom committee brochure.  Motion was approved to purchase four 4×8 vinyl props for the marching band season for a total of $600.  Motion was approved to spend up to $5,000 for new merchandise to sell at events since we frequently are asked for sizes we no longer have. Confirmed that outgoing treasurer Tracey Jones will file taxes.
  6. President’s report:  Kim Smith is building an email distribution list.  Also discussed the MICCA Marching Band home show taking place 10/16/22, including the building and grounds permit, temporary food permit, donation from Costco and/or BJs and student guides (sign up sheets to Steve Conant and choral teacher). Paul Campbell will handle power.  Also setting up PMA alumni mentors to show upcoming PMA members how to perform these roles. Need to get the date on the calendar for Jazz Night, and start looking into equity and the cost of the event, venue, etc.
  7. New business:  Discussed the use of Squareup.com, Venmo, PayPal, and/or a QR code for donations and raffles since so many people no longer carry cash.  For Home Show, Wendy Keats be in charge of 50/50 and will look into RallyUp as a non-cash option, possibly making it possible for the winner not to have to stay to end of show to be chosen as winner.  Ed Ferris also has 3 SquareUp devices that can be used. Discussed social media presence and Jeff Kerr can assist with that once he is more familiar with what the district’s policy is. Attendees completed their CORI forms and Jeff can submit on their behalf.

PMA Meeting Minutes – April 13, 2022

Norwood PMA Meeting Minutes

April 13, 2022

7 p.m. at the NHS Library

 

Attendees

Paul Campbell

Karen Guarin

Ed Ferris

Tracey Jones

Cathy Moen

Anne O’Donnell

Mollie Caravello

Marica Leonard

Sheri McLeish (notetaker)

 

  1. Fine Arts update – Cathy thanks the PMA for a great semi-formal event and provided updates on MICCA preview and Fine Arts Festival scheduled for April 30. Scholarship applications are due May 4 – students may apply online. Music camp is still TBD. Senior Night is Thursday, June 2 and will look to have ice cream around 5:30/6.
  2. Treasurer’s report – Jazz Night had 84 paid guests and collected $1,540
  3. Committee reports – NA
  4. Old business
    1. Bylaws – Members reviewed and discussed revisions to the PMA’s bylaws, which had not been updated since 2012. Changes suggested and approved included revising the board roles to allow for a paid professional to serve as the treasurer. The changes were approved unanimously. The bylaws are posted on the PMA website: https://norwoodpma.org/category/bylaws/ 
    2. Annual Meeting May 13 – A slate of candidates to serve on the PMA board was put forward and unanimously approved, as required by the bylaws to be done one month prior to the annual meeting in May. The candidates will be formally voted into their offices on May 13, at the annual meeting and also Pop’s Night.

PMA Meeting Minutes – March 9, 2022

Norwood PMA Meeting Minutes

March 9, 2022

7 p.m. High School Library

 

Attendees

Paul Campbell

Patrick Marquis

Steve and Linda Lee

Sheri McLeish (notetaker)

Marcia Leonard

Cathy Connor-Moen

Jeanna Ayoub

Steve Conant

Katie McConnaughy

Gabriel Martinez

Mollie Caravello

 

Agenda

  • Welcome & Introductions 
  1. President’s update:  Paul opened discussion on the need for a new board to be voted in at Pop’s Night on Friday, May 13. Traditionally Pop’s Night is a scholarship fundraiser where 2022 scholarships are awarded and a vote for a new board occurs. After discussing challenges to bringing in new members, especially due to COVID disruption, members shared ideas for reorganizing and ways to make sure the PMA continues since no one has yet expressed interest in taking on a board position. Members  agreed to look to make the treasurer role paid to ensure continuity of filings and scholarships. It’s a model that would relieve the need to find qualified volunteers for the role. It would require change to the organization’s bylaws. Bylaws have not been reviewed since 2012. Ask that PMA members review and make any suggestions for updating the bylaws before the next meeting on April 13. This would allow time for a vote to change treasurer role prior to the annual board meeting May 13 to vote in the new board. Anyone interested in joining the board or comments about the bylaws,  please email pmanorwood@gmail.com

With a paid treasurer role, the remaining board positions to be filled for 2022-23 are President, Vice President and Secretary. The full list of volunteer roles needed to maintain the support currently provided by the PMA include:

  • Ways and Means and Special Fundraising Committee
  • Classic Coordinators
  • Database & Publicity
  • Webmaster 
  • Music Camp
  • NHS Performance Instrumental Coordinators 
  • NHS Performance Choral Coordinator 
  • Marching Band Coordinator

 

  1. Fine Arts Department update: Cathy provided updates about upcoming events,  Fine Arts Festival to be held April 30. PMA will have a table where attendees may learn more or sign up.

Additional event updates:

  1. MAJE – March 26 – Performances at the CMS and high school. Volunteers are needed and you may sign up here.
  2. MICCA – April 12 – Please look for sign ups
  3. Jazz Night – Blue Hill Country Club – April 14
    1. Cost will be $20. Jazz and jazz choir students will be provided 5 tickets each to sell. Discussed food and logistics. Tickets will be on sale shortly
  4. Semi-formal – to be held Friday, March 18 at the Four Points Sheraton. Tickets are $40 per person and money is due Monday, March 14.

The PMA is also looking for volunteers to help closet clean up over April vacation. If interested, please email cmoen@norwood.k12.ma.us 

 

The next meeting will be April 13 at 7 pm in the high school library.

PMA Meeting Minutes – Feb 9, 2022

Norwood PMA Meeting Minutes

Feb 9, 2022

7 p.m. High School Library

 

Attendees

Paul Campbell

Patrick Marquis

Kyle Leonard

Steve Lee

Sheri McLeish (notetaker)

Marcia Leonard

Cathy Connor-Moen

Steve & Jeanna Ayoub

Steve Conant

 

Agenda

  1. Welcome & Introductions
  2. Fine Arts Department update:  Cathy shared news that she is retiring at the end of this year and the opportunity for a new person to come in. Some discussion and appreciation for her work and leadership through the years. No further details about transition available. 
  3. President’s update: Paul updated the group on efforts to get a list of parents from the music staff to see who might be interested in helping. As the board turnover new members are urgently needed to take on board roles to ensure continuity and meet obligations of the bylaws. In light of no imminent volunteers, at the March meeting a financial advisor will be attending the meeting to discuss how to put the PMA’s funds into a trust to ensure scholarships will continue to be made in the future in the event no one steps up. The members in attendance discussed efforts to reach out to parents to become involved so that the organization can continue to support the music program and its students through key volunteer roles that enable the participation of students in many activities such as the bands and madrigals and other performances. Open roles for 2022-23 – President, Vice President, Treasurer and Secretary. Need new board roles to be filled along with other areas such as fundraising, event coordinators and membership. Will look to recruit at the Fine Arts Festival and other opportunities where parents are attending. Anyone interested in volunteering for a role, please email pmanorwood@gmail.com
  4. Upcoming events:
    1. Jazz Classic: Discussed logistics for the jazz classic to be held next week at the high school. Schools may leave after performance.
    2. MAJE – March 26
    3. MICCA – April 1,2
    4. Jazz Night – Blue Hill Country Club – April 14
    5. Semi-formal (maybe) – April 18 TBD
    6. Pop’s Night – Friday, May 13 high school performances only

 

The next meeting will be April 13

PMA Meeting Minutes – Jan 12, 2022

Norwood PMA Meeting Minutes

Jan 12, 2022

7 p.m. remote meeting

 

Attendees

Paul Campbell

Patrick Marquis

Edward Ferris

Steve Lee

Sheri McLeish (notetaker)

Marcia Leonard

Cathy Connor-Moen

Steve & Jeanna Ayoub

Mollie Caravello

 

Agenda

  1. Welcome & Introductions
  2. Fine Arts Department update: 
    1. Transcripts for scholarships need to be sent in to the Fine Arts Department for last year’s scholarship winners. Last year was more lenient because it was a difficult year; need to make a grade requirement and can extend a semester. If a student took the year off, they can extend until they attend.
    2. Omicron surge has adjusted winter plans. As of now, this is the schedule:
      1. Southeast District postponed but rescheduled to April 8-9 at Brockton High School
      2. Coakley Middle School concerts will be recorded and broadcast vs. in person event due to inability to safely distance. Concerts will be taped end of Jan/early Feb and be broadcast on NCM
      3. Email sent to schools for the jazz classic and how many would be able to attend. Five or six schools are able to attend. Some have declined, programs not ready for festival or not allowed to perform due to district policies. Looking to hold in COVID safe manner. Still reaching out to determine if would be possible – tentative date Thursday Feb 17
      4. All-state concert is still planned for Symphony Hall but not a lot of updated info at this time. They won’t have hotel – day rehearsal and concert
      5. MAJE Finals still on the books – reserved the space for March 26
      6. Fine Arts Festival April 30 – Norwood 150th committee will help promote
      7. Camp reached out to see if we will be interested in going this year. Reaching out to understand protocols
  3. Open roles for 2022-23 – President, Vice President, Treasurer and Secretary. Need new board roles to be filled along with other areas such as fundraising, event coordinators and membership. Can recruit at the Fine Arts Festival. Will look to create a written slide to show before concerts on NCM. Anyone interested in volunteering for a role, please email pmanorwood@gmail.com

 

The next meeting will be Feb. 9

PMA Meeting Minutes – November 10, 2021

Norwood PMA Meeting Minutes

Nov 10, 2021

7 p.m. at the NHS Library

 

Attendees

Paul Campbell

Marcia Leonard

Mollie Caravello

Steve Conant

Tracy Jones

Catherine Moen

Patrick Marquis

Katie McConnaughy

Jeanna Ayoub

Sheri McLeish (notetaker)

 

  1. Welcome & Introductions
  2. President’s update – Paul
    1. Great showing for Home Show, thank you to all the volunteers, especially Tracy for being the coordinator. Next year Kim Smith will be coordinator.
    2. Parade for Veterans Day starts at the Balch
    3. Discussed end of season activities – Elks Nov 28 Marching Band end of year, madrigal banquet Dec 3
  3. Fine Arts update – Catherine provided some info on upcoming events – 
    1. Fine Arts Festival is on April 30.
    2. No date yet on Pops Night – possibly in May
    3. Jazz Night in April – tentatively April 14
    4. Prom May 6 (fyi)
  4. Treasurer’s report – Tracey
    1. Overall Home Show $5,244 net ($4,411 from the gate)
    2. Purchased battery for golf cart
    3. Swept money out of student accounts – sent email to seniors with accounts: must use by time graduate; may give to a sibling; can use for fees, equipment or donated back. Can not be used for camps or merch. Everyone has an account – it’s tracked when volunteering for fundraisers like selling pies or car washes
  5. Committee reports – Mollie & Marcia
    1. Fundraising – discussed offering slide shoes fundraiser, but opted not to because of limited sizing and cost
    2. Another bag fundraiser through Shaw’s for Dec scheduled
  6. Old business
    1. closet cleaning – will put on January agenda to pick a date
  7. New business – none

 

Final meeting of 2021 will be Dec 8 at Paul Campbell’s home

 

PMA Meeting Minutes – October 13, 2021

Norwood PMA Meeting Minutes

October 13, 2021

7 p.m. at the NHS Library

 

Attendees:

Paul Campbell

Patrick Marquis

Sheri McLeish (notetaker)

Mollie Caravello

Marcia Leonard

Kate McDonough

Karen Guarin

Jeanna Ayoub

Tracey Jones

Steve Conant

Catherine Connor-Moen

 

  1. Welcome & Introductions
  2. President’s update
    1. Home show planning, need more volunteers for band hosts, concessions, will bring cash box; need 50/50 rally volunteer; discussed wristbands to be used for entry, motion made and approved to purchase 1,000 wristbands for Home Show and future needs. Need masks to enter school, will have someone at the door checking
  3. Fine Arts update
    1. Semi-formal – TBD because of Covid protocols
    2. Discuss varsity letters – interest from students, haven’t done in several years. Will put on agenda for next meeting
    3. End of year party will be after the holiday parade on Thanksgiving break, Sunday, Nov. 28
    4. Madrigal banquet planned for Dec. 3 – looking for caterer
  4. Treasurer’s report
    1. Made $450 on merchandise at Norwood Day
    2. Discuss request from Norwood 150th to take an ad. Motion made and seconded to purchase full page ad
    3. Norwood high school PTO seeking to sell Norwood-opoly game at Home Show
  5. Committee reports
    1. Ways & Means – creating a Home Show shirt, will sell for $20. Will make and distribute flyer for ordering

 

Next meeting Nov 10, 2021

PMA Meeting Minutes – Sept. 15, 2021

Norwood PMA Meeting Minutes

September 15, 2021

7 p.m. at the NHS Library

 

Attendees:

Paul Campbell

Patrick Marquis

Sheri McLeish (notetaker)

Mollie Caravello

Marcia Leonard

Steven Lee

Karen Guarin

Steve Ayoub

Jeanna Ayoub

Catherine Connor-Moen

Steve Conant

 

  1. Welcome & Introductions
  2. President’s update
    1. Need to drive membership – looking for ways to get new members, plan outreach at home show, elementary instrument signups and other events
    2. Will need signups for upcoming events and volunteers – Sheri to create signups
  3. Fine Arts update
    1. Working on the calendar, looking at only high school for December concert and in Jan middle school. Not finalized but no plans for a big concert as in the past as a continuing covid precaution. Madrigal banquet OK, Pops Night TBD but not elementary through high school, maybe just high school
    2. Marching band
      1. MICCA and NESBA new policy if bad weather and cancel any funds collected will be returned to the bands. Need to share covid expenses for all venues. Working to finalize events, pulled from Melrose NESBA. May go to Auburn MICCA
      2. In need of a golf cart battery – cost about $800-$1,000; motion to approve, and seconded – approve cost of battery
      3. Home show – so far 7 or 8 bands, NESBA only 20 for finals, all district shows down in numbers, may get more
  4. Treasurer’s report
    1. NA
  5. Committee reports
    1. Marcia notes still have money for country club reservation for jazz this year
    2. Music camp update – Jeanna – everyone had fund, did what needed to do
  6. Old business
    1. Closet cleaning – may be able to get support from facilities once uniforms out will clean up, remove clock tower, old paint, etc. Storage needs help organizing music, drama stuff
    2. Norwood Day – volunteers needed, will send signup 

 

Next meeting Oct 13, 2021