PMA Meeting Minutes 11/07/2023

Norwood PMA Monthly Meeting Minutes

Date: Tuesday 11/07/2023

Time: 7:00 pm – 8:30 pm

Location: Coakley Middle School Library

Call to order

The meeting was called to order at 7:10 pm with a quorum present.


Wendy Keats and Eneida Shkurti (Co-Presidents), Dany Abdallah (Treasurer), Sherri Munro (Secretary), Jeff Kerr (Director of Fine Arts), Siuyien Matthews, Behbin O’Connell, Dan Caparrotta, Bill Maguire 

Welcome and Introductions

Welcome by Eneida Shkurti, PMA President

Fine Arts Department:

  • Thank you to all who supported the Marching Band 
  • It was a wet season
  • Proud of the kids, the team, the entire staff
  • Testament to teachers and staff for making necessary adjustments and kids for making the changes.
  • Departmentally, recently had a long day of professional development with all staff together providing  feedback and information regarding needs.  Pending submission of proposals to update curriculum. 
  • Parades are happening.
  • Madrigals next month.

Approval of Previous Meeting Minutes

Motion to approve 10/03/2023 PMA Meeting Minutes – second and approved.

Board Members:


  • Financial report (copy of general journal) reviewed and accepted. 
  • Home Show earnings were better than last year.
    • Still waiting for some band registrations.
  • Certificate of Change of officers application (MA state law)
    • Goal is to file report annually every year within 30 days after board election
  • Tax should be filed before  January
    • Dany reviewed previous invoices for accounting and will prepare for next meeting for approval before sending 
  • MICCA paid $2500 to host – admission fees income
  • $500 from Boch fund submitted
  • Dany evaluating year after year finances – details to be reported at the next meeting
  • Motion to cancel PMA Post P.O. BOX
    • New PMA address – use PMA ℅ Director of Fine Arts 245 Nichols St
    • Need to return keys by end of month
    • Motion seconded and approved
  • New checks ordered through Walmart

Co-Presidents/Board Members

  • Report/updates on MICCA Marching Band and Color Guard Home Show
    • Hot water pots required a lot of power – need to be on own source
    • Noodle soup a hit
    • Next year think about a reservoir/urn for hot water
      • Invest in coffee maker and hot water pot – one in closet currently
    • A lot of extra chips and candy – consider using for end of year party
    • Cases of soda in the closet can be used for Jazz Festival, then use for Chorale
    • Lessons learned for next year – Wendy made a Google Doc on what was bought and what was left
    • Need 2 cashiers for concessions 
    • Ideas to address lines
      • Consider splitting lines between snacks and meals 
      • Separate cash, credit
      • Flip menu that was big menu to see early and/or QR code – A frame stands in shed
        • Dan can print 34 by 26
      • Pay first then get food
      • Cashier in front to provide order like CT 
    • Food trucks may be an idea but space may be an issue
    • Plan to review Kim’s feedback and add experiences from this year at future meeting
  • Funding part of the cost of the pizza lunch during the Madrigals banquet rehearsal.
    • Next big musical event is the Madrigal Banquet December 1st
      • Space reserved – Knights of Columbus provided discount
      • Caterer booked – Lewis’ providing reduced price but still increasing ($25/plate)
      • Knights of Columbus has Bingo Thursday night
        • Wed rehearsal, breakdown and store, then on Friday parents come up to set up for event
      • Asking for funding to help support crew and Madrigals
        • Previously paid $5 and buy pizza for lunch
        • Can PMA help cover differences? Expect $50.
        • Evening  – catered event with admission costs to cover dinner meals – $40/plate
          • Madrigals get small meals
          • Jazz Quartet plays and is fed
        • Can PMA help cover expense?  Expect $100-150.
        • 80-120 people attend event
      • Motion to approve funding rehearsal lunch (pizza)
        • Motion seconded and approved
      • Dinner for extras on event day
        • Motion seconded and approved
      • Poinsettias used for decorations and sold (40) – post on PMA website
      • Add to PMA website
      • Create QR codes for payment – admission and poinsettias
  • Increasing Steve Conant stipend for Sound support for Banquet
    • Previously $100 in past years – consider increasing
      • $33/hr rate for auditorium set up, equipment check, and break down
      • Mr. Conant spends 3 hours Wed prior and another 3 – 4 hours Friday 
      • Motion/recommendation to increase stipend to $250
        • Motion seconded and approved
  • Jeff recommends standardizing events
    • Audio person hourly rate
    • Guest clinician rate
  • Discussion around student accounts
    • Fundraising support for Choral Programs
    • School cannot fund/raise until School Committee approves event
      • Will defer trip for this year due to timelines and cost for more than one day trip
    • PMA fund raising all the time, not based on event
    • Ask for PMA to manage accounts
      • Need to evaluate guidelines for fundraising and distribution
      •  Limit to PMA cash flow per FY
      • Plan for continued discussions

Ways & Means

  • Humble Pie Christmas fundraiser
    • Start after Thanksgiving, but advertise prior; order in by Dec 11th, delivery by Dec 18 th
      • Plan to post on Facebook and PMA website
      • Create flyer and request approval for weekly flyer post- Priscilla Reardon admin for superintendent 
  • Chipotle booked for February 28th st 5-9PM
  • Car Wash – TBD
  • Do we have budget to buy more merchandise?
    • Yes – $1500 – $2000
    • Consider more generic music items
  • Need to follow up on show hoodies for Marching Band
    • Kids design and pay for
    • Ask Prima to design

Other Business

  • Planning for Marching Band End of Season Party Sunday 11/26 after parade
    • Plan separate meeting to coordinate next week
    • Add to PMA website
  • Discuss raincoats for MB – can Town funds help cover costs of uniforms and coats?
    • Continue discussion to provide option by end of school year in preparation for next year MB
  • Saturday Veteran’s Day parade
    • Wendy, Dany, Eneida, Suiyen, and Sherri available to chaperone/assist

Topics not covered:

  • ePromo account – evaluate if we need to keep the account. 
  • If yes, transfer contact infoFine Arts Semi (book venue, plan, etc)
  • NCM Coverage for the Marching band and PMA Activities.
  • Add MB and other Music Ensembles to the new NHS website

Motion to Adjourn

Meeting was adjourned at 8:57pm.

Next meeting 

Tuesday December 5th, 7:00 pm – 8:30 pm at the Balch Elementary School

Minutes compiled by Sherri Munro, Recording Secretary

similar posts