PMA Meeting Minutes – Jan 12, 2022

Norwood PMA Meeting Minutes

Jan 12, 2022

7 p.m. remote meeting

 

Attendees

Paul Campbell

Patrick Marquis

Edward Ferris

Steve Lee

Sheri McLeish (notetaker)

Marcia Leonard

Cathy Connor-Moen

Steve & Jeanna Ayoub

Mollie Caravello

 

Agenda

  1. Welcome & Introductions
  2. Fine Arts Department update: 
    1. Transcripts for scholarships need to be sent in to the Fine Arts Department for last year’s scholarship winners. Last year was more lenient because it was a difficult year; need to make a grade requirement and can extend a semester. If a student took the year off, they can extend until they attend.
    2. Omicron surge has adjusted winter plans. As of now, this is the schedule:
      1. Southeast District postponed but rescheduled to April 8-9 at Brockton High School
      2. Coakley Middle School concerts will be recorded and broadcast vs. in person event due to inability to safely distance. Concerts will be taped end of Jan/early Feb and be broadcast on NCM
      3. Email sent to schools for the jazz classic and how many would be able to attend. Five or six schools are able to attend. Some have declined, programs not ready for festival or not allowed to perform due to district policies. Looking to hold in COVID safe manner. Still reaching out to determine if would be possible – tentative date Thursday Feb 17
      4. All-state concert is still planned for Symphony Hall but not a lot of updated info at this time. They won’t have hotel – day rehearsal and concert
      5. MAJE Finals still on the books – reserved the space for March 26
      6. Fine Arts Festival April 30 – Norwood 150th committee will help promote
      7. Camp reached out to see if we will be interested in going this year. Reaching out to understand protocols
  3. Open roles for 2022-23 – President, Vice President, Treasurer and Secretary. Need new board roles to be filled along with other areas such as fundraising, event coordinators and membership. Can recruit at the Fine Arts Festival. Will look to create a written slide to show before concerts on NCM. Anyone interested in volunteering for a role, please email pmanorwood@gmail.com

 

The next meeting will be Feb. 9

PMA Meeting Minutes – November 10, 2021

Norwood PMA Meeting Minutes

Nov 10, 2021

7 p.m. at the NHS Library

 

Attendees

Paul Campbell

Marcia Leonard

Mollie Caravello

Steve Conant

Tracy Jones

Catherine Moen

Patrick Marquis

Katie McConnaughy

Jeanna Ayoub

Sheri McLeish (notetaker)

 

  1. Welcome & Introductions
  2. President’s update – Paul
    1. Great showing for Home Show, thank you to all the volunteers, especially Tracy for being the coordinator. Next year Kim Smith will be coordinator.
    2. Parade for Veterans Day starts at the Balch
    3. Discussed end of season activities – Elks Nov 28 Marching Band end of year, madrigal banquet Dec 3
  3. Fine Arts update – Catherine provided some info on upcoming events – 
    1. Fine Arts Festival is on April 30.
    2. No date yet on Pops Night – possibly in May
    3. Jazz Night in April – tentatively April 14
    4. Prom May 6 (fyi)
  4. Treasurer’s report – Tracey
    1. Overall Home Show $5,244 net ($4,411 from the gate)
    2. Purchased battery for golf cart
    3. Swept money out of student accounts – sent email to seniors with accounts: must use by time graduate; may give to a sibling; can use for fees, equipment or donated back. Can not be used for camps or merch. Everyone has an account – it’s tracked when volunteering for fundraisers like selling pies or car washes
  5. Committee reports – Mollie & Marcia
    1. Fundraising – discussed offering slide shoes fundraiser, but opted not to because of limited sizing and cost
    2. Another bag fundraiser through Shaw’s for Dec scheduled
  6. Old business
    1. closet cleaning – will put on January agenda to pick a date
  7. New business – none

 

Final meeting of 2021 will be Dec 8 at Paul Campbell’s home

 

PMA Meeting Minutes – October 13, 2021

Norwood PMA Meeting Minutes

October 13, 2021

7 p.m. at the NHS Library

 

Attendees:

Paul Campbell

Patrick Marquis

Sheri McLeish (notetaker)

Mollie Caravello

Marcia Leonard

Kate McDonough

Karen Guarin

Jeanna Ayoub

Tracey Jones

Steve Conant

Catherine Connor-Moen

 

  1. Welcome & Introductions
  2. President’s update
    1. Home show planning, need more volunteers for band hosts, concessions, will bring cash box; need 50/50 rally volunteer; discussed wristbands to be used for entry, motion made and approved to purchase 1,000 wristbands for Home Show and future needs. Need masks to enter school, will have someone at the door checking
  3. Fine Arts update
    1. Semi-formal – TBD because of Covid protocols
    2. Discuss varsity letters – interest from students, haven’t done in several years. Will put on agenda for next meeting
    3. End of year party will be after the holiday parade on Thanksgiving break, Sunday, Nov. 28
    4. Madrigal banquet planned for Dec. 3 – looking for caterer
  4. Treasurer’s report
    1. Made $450 on merchandise at Norwood Day
    2. Discuss request from Norwood 150th to take an ad. Motion made and seconded to purchase full page ad
    3. Norwood high school PTO seeking to sell Norwood-opoly game at Home Show
  5. Committee reports
    1. Ways & Means – creating a Home Show shirt, will sell for $20. Will make and distribute flyer for ordering

 

Next meeting Nov 10, 2021

PMA Meeting Minutes – Sept. 15, 2021

Norwood PMA Meeting Minutes

September 15, 2021

7 p.m. at the NHS Library

 

Attendees:

Paul Campbell

Patrick Marquis

Sheri McLeish (notetaker)

Mollie Caravello

Marcia Leonard

Steven Lee

Karen Guarin

Steve Ayoub

Jeanna Ayoub

Catherine Connor-Moen

Steve Conant

 

  1. Welcome & Introductions
  2. President’s update
    1. Need to drive membership – looking for ways to get new members, plan outreach at home show, elementary instrument signups and other events
    2. Will need signups for upcoming events and volunteers – Sheri to create signups
  3. Fine Arts update
    1. Working on the calendar, looking at only high school for December concert and in Jan middle school. Not finalized but no plans for a big concert as in the past as a continuing covid precaution. Madrigal banquet OK, Pops Night TBD but not elementary through high school, maybe just high school
    2. Marching band
      1. MICCA and NESBA new policy if bad weather and cancel any funds collected will be returned to the bands. Need to share covid expenses for all venues. Working to finalize events, pulled from Melrose NESBA. May go to Auburn MICCA
      2. In need of a golf cart battery – cost about $800-$1,000; motion to approve, and seconded – approve cost of battery
      3. Home show – so far 7 or 8 bands, NESBA only 20 for finals, all district shows down in numbers, may get more
  4. Treasurer’s report
    1. NA
  5. Committee reports
    1. Marcia notes still have money for country club reservation for jazz this year
    2. Music camp update – Jeanna – everyone had fund, did what needed to do
  6. Old business
    1. Closet cleaning – may be able to get support from facilities once uniforms out will clean up, remove clock tower, old paint, etc. Storage needs help organizing music, drama stuff
    2. Norwood Day – volunteers needed, will send signup 

 

Next meeting Oct 13, 2021

PMA Meeting Minutes – April 15, 2021

NPMA Meeting notes

April 15, 2021

Attendees
Paul Campbell
Patrick Marquis
Mollie Caravello
Jeanna Ayoub
Catherine Connor-Moen
Sheri McLeish (notetaker)
Steve and Linda Lee
Steven Conant

Scholarships
Sheri to update the form – send link to group, C. Moen to approve and distribute in school; Sheri to send email to NPMA distro list and post on the website

Fundraising
Discussed car wash in May but decided not to hold at this time because don’t want kids to feel obligated to participate while still distancing and Covid precautions in place

Camp update
Need to get full band to be successful camp; considering local camp. Recognize need to make a decision soon.

Marching and color guard band update
Still planning for show on May 13 or 15th May, maybe both. Reshape and restage vs. marching, limited what can do with time we have. Not going to plug much in electronically, some sound system support but minimal

Activities
Discussed cleaning out costume room at the Savage Center – Jeanna Ayoub said looking to work on it over April vacation because no one there. Mollie offered to help.

Talked about in hs under auditorium is old clock tower stored, paint, white boards, etc., how might be able to clean out

Seniors
How want to recognize seniors this year? 30-35 students graduating

Are doing prom with food trucks, dancing on football field with social distancing

Maybe look at cookout or other way to host celebration

Will look for teachers to do first outreach and let know who interested

Fundraising
Dine out night in the works for Bertucci’s and a few other places

Try to put together special gifts/package for seniors

Getting a $500 donation from the Mighty Mighty Bosstones for participating in video promo

Next NPMA meeting will be Thursday, May 13

PMA Meeting Minutes – March 11, 2021

Norwood PMA Meeting Minutes

March 11, 2021

7 p.m. via Zoom

Attendees

Paul Campbell

Sasha Guilaeff

Cathy Umbay

Patrick Marquis

Katie McConoughy

Jennifer Hartnett

Catherine Conner-Moen

Kristen Curran-Faller

Linda Lee

Jeanna Ayoub

Sheri McLeish (notetaker)

 

1. President update – Paul welcomes everyone

2. Fine Arts update

– band camp – camp will be open, but will it be too limited or will our kids want to go/parents feel comfortable; TBD – A little early to decide

– scholarships – 2021 scholarship form coming out soon, looking to use a digital form that’s been created. To be reviewed and OK’d by Fine Arts Director

Catherine – Talked last time about scholarships – we have softened so many of our standards this year because been outrageously difficult year should also modify/relax our standards

thinking about challenges face with agreed would be appropriate

this year because in a pandemic, relax standards for grade requirements to receive award money, rubrik rigorous on how to awarded, teachers have input

Treasurer update – scholarships being paid out successful completion of first semester of school

NPMA administering for director of fine arts

Website update – Tony and Sheri – working to consolidate to series of links, sticking with WordPress because have another year left on the account, working with Katie on PR and outreach

Discussed standard email address for all to use, able to use google apps to store materials, photos, etc. UPDATE – New email address created – pmanorwood@gmail.com .

PR / outreach update – Katie M and Jeanna – have contact, doing outreach with local newspapers

Merch – Looking to create digital merch store, link to website. Linda and Steve, and Steve A offered to help

School music happenings –

Jen H updates on plans for seniors this year, has been meeting with a group of students to encapsulate senior year, what they want to do, be safe, what they want spring to look like – one thing they really want is their camp shirt and leis the flowers that they give at camp. Really want senior skits

Discussed ideas and how to do a skit, or senior activity night – be outside, bring blankets – maybe by May be able to do more. Really looking for things they have been looking forward to for being seniors.

Cathy – Notes if the state is opening up it would seem we should be able to do something outside. Maybe push later into May and do a sr. picnic type activity, will need to do some planning

Update Norwood 150th – asking for school input, going to be highlighted during Fine Arts Festival 2022

Talked about Friday night prior having an alumni concert – music, drama, dance, anything – people very receptive, website now active

Celtic Strings up and running, Madrigals may be able to sing

Discussed if include kids may have dropped out because covid, not just current – use 2019 list

Patrick update on NPMA officers for 2021

Officers for next year, sent out electronic ballot, pushed slate forward:

OFFICERS

President

Paul Campbell

Vice President

Patrick Marquis

Secretary

Sheri McLeish

Treasurer

Tracey Jones

Ways & Means and Special Fundraising Committee

Mollie and Tony Caravello, Steve and Linda Lee, Steve Ayoub

STANDING COMMITTEE APPOINTED OFFICIALS

Marching Band Classic Coordinators

Mollie Caravello & Marcia Leonard

Database & Publicity

Katie McConnaughy

Webmaster

Tony Caravello

Music Camp Coordinator

Jeanna Ayoub

SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL

Performance Coordinator – Instrumental

Paul Campbell and Patrick Marquis

Performance Coordinator – Choral

Jeanna Ayoub

Performance Coordinator – Jazz Groups

Mollie Caravello & Marcia Leonard (Co) & Kathie Umbay (Asst)

Performance Coordinator – Marching Band

Amy Campbell

Color Guard Coordinator

Laura Sullivan

MICCA Classic Coordinator – Choral

Jeanna Ayoub, Eve Madden

 

Next meeting will be April 15, 2021

PMA Meeting Minutes – February 11, 2021

NPMA Association meeting notes

Feb 11 Meeting

Attendees
Paul Campbell
Patrick Marquis

Sheri McLeish (notetaker)
Kathie and Sasha Guliaeff
Jennifer Hartnett
Catherine Connor-Moen
Steve Conant
Tony Caravello
Jeanna and Steve Ayoub
Katie McConnaughyUpdates

Paul C announces that Ernie Boch grant received – $5,000
Asked for $2,000 and ended up with $5,000
not earmarked for anything specific – able to go to general fundScholarships for last year being dispersed; some students that deferred and will receive payment once complete year and provide transcript

In the past have delayed payment for a semester.
NPMA decided that it was OK to extend a year due to COVID.
Students need a B- cumulative average
Discussed need to get grades or if can’t just payout as scholarship based on success at HS

Music Camp Update
C. Moen – spoke to camp director – would be operating as a bubble, masking 6 ft apart
need to consider – no more than 8 people per bunk – so more cabins and counselors
only outdoor activities as stands now
singing all would be out on the platform behind jr counselor cabin
Night activities – nothing indoors but could use tennis courts for outdoor night activities
Gets dark by 8-ish so perhaps outdoor social or if not kids to their bunks 8:30 at night which is early for HS students
If have any bad weather we have a problem
Limited to 50 people in the dining hall
Not be an eating experience like we are used to – would be guessing more grab and go type of thing
A lot of things to consider
Might be better by August so safer to plan for the challenges and anything that improves could be a positive
Very definite constraints
Can use the barn but other percussion cabin can’t used
Alternatives – maybe look in state by constraints might be the same
This would not be my preference, but a lot of towns hold locally at the school but not preference because not same type of bonding as camp, get them out of cell phone range, captive audience
Would be less expensive
Would worry if miss camp two years in a row would it be feasible to go back
A lot of ways to create a camp in Norwood, use town facilities
No contract yet, still figuring out regulations for Maine, a lot TBD
Don’t have to make decisions right now
Over the summer planning to install lights at the field, may impact ability to use the field over summer for band

Board positions
Patrick – have we decided to move forward with positions
Online ballot – same officers moving forward as this year, other than treasurer bc of administration needed to change accounts so will go through end of year when all officers switch
Generally need student in program to be on board, might consider allowing more participation as in need of volunteers and talent in group

Band update
They are rehearsing in person and via google meet and a hybrid of both. Marching Band is rehearsing in person.

Next meeting will be held Thursday, March 11 at 7 p.m.

Please forward to anyone interested – email to bandnpma@gmail.com to join the email list.

PMA Meeting Minutes – January 14, 2021

NPMA Meeting Notes
January 14, 2021

Attendees:
Patrick Marquis
Sheri McLeish (notetaker)
Eve Madden
Steve Lee
Sasha and Kathie ()
Katie McConaughey
Marcia Leonard
Steve Ayoub
Jennifer Hartnett
Catherine Connor-Moen
Paul Campbell

Discussion

Sheri and Tony reviewed website needs, planning to update for March / before sign ups so can have place for info and sign up, along with links back to school, social media and important dates

Marcia updates on merch, looking to create online store with a few items including shirt and mask, will be featured from website and social

Music Dept Updates
Southeast Massachusetts Educators Associations
Junior District Audition for 7-9 this weekend
Allstate for seniors next weekend, need video sent in by 20th

Treasurer update
Sasha needs to contact Tracey to make transition, doesn’t have access yet to materials

Waiting to hear on Ernie Boch grant

Discussed Venmo, need to take payments online and in person, or another online payment app

Ms. Connor-Moen – Norwood 150 next year, opportunity to do some outreach, alumni groups, may have multiple events, planning now year long celebration

Online recital 4th and 5th grade band recorded before holiday break

Instrumentalists have been allowed to come in to play

No singing yet but working towards it as makes sense

virtual jazz auditions after school coming up

No jazz choir this year

Marching band percussion and guard starting next week

TBD if will be band camp, depend where at with pandemic

Scholarships – transcripts beginning to come in, don’t have to be in until March 1

To collect scholarship must have completed first semester with GPA provided

Coming senior class applications come out in April and generally announce winners at Pops Night middle of May

Running for or keeping current position on NPMA board let Patrick know

Need to let parents know and recruit as well as students

Talked about mentoring, recruitment for students – thinking how to best engage students

Outreach via schools, PTOs, social to invite parents to get involved/attend board meetings

Eve idea – performing at elementary schools before, possible to do something outside at the schools in the spring to see option? C. Moen believes principals would be open to idea, maybe split up small band or chorus going to different schools

Jennifer H- also working on recruiting videos for chorus and band has one

PMA Meeting Minutes – December 10, 2020

Dec 10 PMA meeting

Attendees:
Paul Campbell
Linda and Steve Lee
Patrick Marquis
Marcia Leonard
Steve Conant
Jeanna and Steve Ayoub
Jennifer Hartnett
Catherine Connor-Moen
Katie McCounnaghy
Eve Madden
Sheri McLeish (notetaker)

Topics
Discussed potential holiday parade but not  participating due to Covid  restriction changes

Changes go into effect Sunday so Madrigals may still perform prior

Dec 23 High School light show with police, but outdoor events may be scaled back stay tuned – TBD

Boch grant due last week, submitted in nick of time – decisions forthcoming; hoping to get an award TBD

C. Moen – Request from Madrigals for funds to buy lunch for when go caroling – approved

After holidays looking to get jazz up and running, ensembles, honor groups at CMS, now that people have better idea what can and cannot do

Banquet to watch if didn’t see it live:173.13.93.5:1500/CablecastPublicSite/show/10850?channel=1

In spring expect marching band activities

Discuss selling shirts – “keep music alive in 2020” and masks. Sheri to look into Venmo, Marcia & Janice merch order prep

J. Hartnett – Applications Tri-M students- get certificate and pin, looking to get induction prior to holiday break

Looking at activities can participate, maybe connect with 8th grade as recruiting hard this year because no concerts, etc.

Cookies from Amy welcome for Tri-M students

Caroling outside at elementary schools – probably not make it to St Catherine’s this year because scheduling and not splitting performances with Celtic Strings

S. Conant – band and orchestra submitting virtual recordings, never done before so try editing and put together

Happy holidays – good to still be together

PMA Meeting Minutes – November 5, 2020

NOVEMBER 2020 PTO MEETING MINUTES
11/12/2020 Virtual Meeting
Attendees
Margo Fraczek           Cindy DeJesus
Sarah Caparrotta       Divina 38 (screen name)
Marie Foley                 Mollie Caravello
LaTasha Bryant           Kelly Grenham
Michelle Martino         Paula Flanagan
Daniel Doherty            Lexa Iantuono Sullivan
Vani M                          Abida Abdul Latif
Ana Arias                     RMD D (screen Name)
Tom Ahearn                 Yaffa Karasik
Lauren Brent
Meeting Content
Special Olympics Unified Champions Program
   -funding for prizes
   -all school inclusion through peer leadership and
     Friendship groups
   – fitness sessions during Mustang blocks (Paul Nimblett)
Parent Teacher Conferences
   -12/2 in the afternoon
   -12/3 & 12/10 during the evening
    All conferences held through google meet
Program Updates:  World Savvy and PLTW
    -WORLD SAVVY: Explores Global issues at a project
      base level.  For example, food deserts, and creating a
      plan for how to service that issue
   -PLTW: Project Lead the Way is a program that
    introduces students to the way of the future through
    instruments  such as building, coding, creating and
   developing, STEM projects and medical detectives
Teacher Appreciation
   -Sign Up Genius asking families to
    contribute snacks for the teachers room

   (Monday after Thanksgiving-Kelley)

Treasurer report

   -$4000 before dues
   -dues letters with payment information
     (Monday completion)
   -Amazon smiles participant
Fundraising/Virtual Fundraising
   -grandma’s coffee cakes (Lexa & Mollie)
   -possibly theatre performances
   -recycle electronics
   -Savers (possibly coordinate both recycle
               and Savers at the same time)
OTHER
   -links for free programs student could participate in during independent time
    Programs such as claymation