PMA Meeting Minutes January 10, 2018

Norwood High School, Library

Call to Order:            7:06 pm

Welcome by Diane Wilson, PMA President

Attendance: Diane Wilson (President), Paul Campbell (VP), Tracey Jones (Treasurer), Kim Beaudet (Ways & Means), Amy Doherty Nee (Secretary), Ed Ferris (Publicity/Webmaster), Patrick Marquis, Patricia Souza, Stacey Lane, Cathy Moen, Becca Jackson, Sarah Jackson, Katie McConnaughy, Lisa Silletti

  1. Approval of November Meeting Minutes: Amy Doherty Nee

Motion made and seconded to approve the meeting minutes of November 8, 2017:  

Motion approved

  1. Treasurer’s Report: Tracey Jones

Balance sheet review: Net income $5,672

Fidelity investment: profitable so far; they have had for about one-quarter.

Motion made and seconded to approve treasurer’s report of December 2017: 

Motion approved

  1. Vice President: Paul Campbell

Upcoming events:

Fine Arts semi-formal dance: February 2nd

Jazz Classic: February 14th

MICCA: March 23rd, 24th, 25th

Senior night: May 24th at Four Points

Solar panels: Paul procured solar panels for shed to charge cart

  1. Ways & Means: Kim Beaudet

Car wash fundraisers: Two car wash dates scheduled for May 12th for “elementary through high school instrumental and choral,” and June 9th for “marching band.”

CMS concert merch sales:  Sheri will handle upcoming January 11th 6th grade middle school concert merch table sales.

New merch items: discussed ideas for new merch items. Tracey will update Kim with inventory list.

There is a balance of over $2K for merch. Kim will make sure we are stocked for festival of bands.

People want pencils with specific instruments, key chains, short sleeved t-shirts.

Gift wrapping table fundraising: Henry Bear’s Park allows groups to set up table and wrap customers’ purchases, with us keeping all donations. Maybe an idea for closer to Christmas?

Scrip fundraising: Kim needs further info. Money goes directly to us, on-going process. Kim will look into having someone come talk to us about it. Maybe start small and get it up and running for holiday timeframe.

  1. Marching Band: Diane Wilson

Prop fundraising: Ed brought up the fact that we will start out marching band season with no existing props – what we have will not be carried over for marching band. We need to be prepared for expenses for new props.

Music Camp 2018: August 12-18 (Sunday to Sat

Note for next year *2019* music camp: will start on a Monday and go to Sunday, FYI

  1. Director of Fine Arts: Catherine Connor-Moen

Community service: need to consider possible community service ideas for music honor society.

Funds: given to Tracey.

PMA scholarships: have started coming in.

Staffing: Craig Chisolm has resigned. K. Entwhistle will stay, then will hire someone else.

Great East Festival: seeing if Norwood will participate; possible locations at high school and middle school.

Scholarships: need to brainstorm about scholarships for students for lessons, camp, can we earmark a certain amount of fundraising money for that? We need to have a formal application for scholarship.

  1. Choral Update: Patricia Souza

Madrigal banquet: Cathy needs to give Tracey the bill for tablecloths from the banquet.

Elementary choral tour: went well.

  1. Publicity: Ed Ferris

Posting events and info on site; reminder to send anything you want posted to Ed with as much detail as possible.

Amy sent Amazon smile flyer to Becca for Sarah to post on Instagram.

  1. Quorum: 2017/2018 PMA Board, there are eleven (11) voting Board Members. In order to have a quorum, six (6) Board Members must be present.
  2. NEXT PMA MEETING: Monday, February 12 at 7pm in the NHS library

Adjourned at 8:45 pm

Minutes respectfully submitted by Amy Doherty Nee

 

 

PMA Meeting Minutes November 8, 2017

Norwood High School, Library

Call to Order:            7:20 pm

Welcome by Diane Wilson, PMA President

Attendance: Diane Wilson (President), Paul Campbell (VP), Tracey Jones (Treasurer), Kim Beaudet (Ways & Means), Amy Doherty Nee (Secretary), Ed Ferris (Publicity/Webmaster), Steve Conant, Patrick Marquis, Patricia Souza, Stacey Lane, Cathy Moen

  1. Approval of June Meeting Minutes: Amy Doherty Nee

Motion made and seconded to approve the meeting minutes of October 11, 2017:  

Motion approved

  1. School Committee Conant, Ms. Moen, some senior members of the band, et al attended the school committee meeting to be recognized for the marching band’s championship season.
  2. Treasurer’s Report: Tracey Jones

Balance sheet review/Marching Band Classic review: Classic net income for October nearly $6K. Concessions were up, but gate was not up as much as expected (not as many parents came). Excess programs purchased; maybe next year cut back on programs. Ordered 750 programs, maybe next year print 600. Maybe save about $100.

Notes for next year MB Classic: Next year make sure nothing else going on at school that day. Indian dance festival interfered with parking, etc. Whoever is in charge of booking at H.S. needs to book the whole school next year, not just the field.

Motion made and seconded to approve treasurer’s report of October 2017: 

Motion approved

  1. Ways & Means: Kim Beaudet

Buttons were good merch sellers. We sold a lot of stuff we bought last year at the MB Classic, and the profit is in this year. We have new hats which will last into future. Profit margin is not great for hoodies; fleece is good, pajama pants are good sellers, smaller items are good profit-makers (keychains, pencils, socks). When time to re-order, don’t order new sweatshirts, order more hats.

Upcoming shows: Do we want to set up merch table at elementary shows?

Madrigal banquet (Dec 1), HS concert (Dec 13), middle school concerts (Dec 14 & Dec 19), 6th grade Jan 11), orchestra (Jan 18) – all dates are on shared Google calendar.

Scrip fundraising: need to move quickly to see if we can start to capture holiday shopping. Kim will contact. (Post script note: Ed sent an email about Scrip to all to review, 11/9/17.)

Amazon smile: Amy will make flyer to promote; Ed will distribute to music students’ parent list (after we get the opt-outs).

  1. Vice President: Paul Campbell

Revisited item from last month –

Venue (Sharaton) alternative: Becca Jackson inquired about holding jazz night at the Norwood theater. She heard back and they said: Our rentals are usually booked 10-12 months in advance, although we may sometimes have a weekday/night available.  The rental process generally goes through several steps.  First we request the dates, times, and technical needs required by our customers.  If a date is selected/available we do a cost estimate to see if it fits within their budgets.  If so we then drill down to the specifics for a contract agreement.  Our rentals range between $3,500 – $7,500. 

Based on their response, the theater is not an option for our event. Perhaps Amy C. can check out a rumor that St. Catherine’s performs their plays there, and see if there can be a deal made for school event for us.

  1. Marching Band: Diane Wilson

Season over; what a great season!

Promotion: How do we get school and non-music kids to understand marching band success.

Maybe display our trophies more prominently?

Schedule: Talked to Steve about setting dates by Jan 1, so we can make sure things are not double booked.

Traffic for MB Classic: Next year make sure NO traffic around back. Block off the exit, and make two lanes back by drop off area. Ed & Pat put together a traffic plan and put in folder for next year.

  1. Director of Fine Arts: Catherine Connor-Moen

Talked about support from school committee and town in general. Diane will write letter to Norwood Record thanking them for support.

10K Grant from E. Boch: Buying electric piano, two drums, 10 plastic trombones for elementary, concert bells for middle school, and other instruments.

  1. Choral Update: Patricia Souza

Food for Madrigal banquet, quotes from Brazilian Mina’s restaurant (price they quoted does not incl server), Off the Vine catering ($26 pp) much more expensive.

We had about 15 tables last year; also ordering poinsettias.

  1. Publicity: Ed Ferris

Photos: Need to get pictures of events – of choral events, etc. anything with good clarity; preferably               prior to events so he can promote.

  1. CMS Instrumental: Patrick Marquis

Discussed the need for instrumental CMS parents needs list of names to email.

  1. Quorum: 2016/2017 PMA Board, there are eleven (11) voting Board Members. In order to have a quorum, six (6) Board Members must be present.
  2. NEXT PMA MEETING: MONDAY December 11, 2017 at 7pm in the NHS library

Adjournment at 8:55 pm

Minutes respectfully submitted by Amy Doherty Nee

  • Remind people that December’s meeting will be on Monday 12/11, instead of Wednesday due to concert.