PMA Meeting Minutes
September 14, 2016
Norwood High School, Library
Call to Order: 7:05 pm
Welcome by Paul Campbell, PMA President
Attendance: Paul Campbell (President), Terry MacDonald (Vice President), Tracey Jones (Treasurer) Maureen Dimitriou (Past Treasurer), Stacey Lane (Secretary), Kim Beaudet (Ways & Means), Ed Ferris, Phyllis McDonaugh, Diane Wilson, Sheri McLeigh, Cathy Moen, Steve Conant, Claudia Maldanado, James Butler, Phil McAvoy, Mary McAvoy
- McAvoys: Singer-songwriter, Mary McAvoy, and her father, Phil McAvoy, in attendance to plan for the upcoming PMA fundraiser concert on Friday, September 23, 2016 at 7pm to 9pm (with intermission) in the NHS auditorium. PMA will help with promotion and selling tickets ($10). Concert information has been posted on the PMA website and on Facebook. Posters will be hung-up at schools. C. Moen suggested putting a poster on an A-frame. Concessions will be sold (water ,candy). Conant to work sound system. Discussed selling General Admission tickets at door and advanced ticket sales through “Event Bright”. In addition, students should be given tickets to sell to family and friends. Discussed advertising at the Cinderella musical this weekend. P. Campbell will hand out flyers at the musical.
- Approval of Meeting Minutes: Stacey Lane
Motion made and seconded to accept the Minutes of June 8, 2016: Approved
Motion made and seconded to accept the Minutes of August 25, 2016: Approved
- Approval of Treasurer’s Report: Maureen Dimitriou/Tracey Jones
Scholarships have been dispersed to recipients.
“Truck and Trailer Expenses” line item will have a name change to Marching Band Expenses since it pays for general marching band expenses.
Camp Tapawingo, Sweden Maine-August 14-20, 2016: The PMA subsided $160.14 per student for a total of $11,209.90 leaving a negative balance of ($4,479) in the Music Camp Fund line item.
Motion made and seconded to transfer $3500 from the general fund to the music Camp Fund Activities to balance out the budget: Approved
Motion made and seconded to accept the Treasurer’s Report to close out the fiscal year (June-August): Approved
There are numerous boxes of old papers/documents that we no longer need. Discussed disposing of the documents we no longer need.
Motion made and seconded to shred any old documentation prior to 2009: Approved
- Ways & Means: Kim Beaudet
Concerts on the Common/Summer Fest: Does not raise a lot of money and it a lot of work. It does provide visibility for the music program. More volunteers are needed over the summer.
Merchandise: Sold merchandise at Norwood Day. Sold out of music sweatpants. Will need to order more before the MB MICCA Classic
Mattress Sale: September 24, 2016 at NHS. Marching Band students and parents will not be available to help since there is a show that day.
Lunch Trampoline: Fundraiser information provided.
Motion made and seconded to spend up to $1100 to purchase merchandise: Approved
- Marching Band Classic: Tracey Jones
October 16, 2016: Tracey would like to keep the menu simple (hotdogs, pizza, nachos, apple crisp,
hot chocolate, coffee, soda, water, candy). We do not have a hospitality volunteer. S. Conant needs
a copy of the menu to send out to the music directors. Discussed placement of concessions and the possibility of having it in the café. S. Conant advised against having concessions inside and will help Tracey find the best location. A police detail is needed. Student volunteer sign-up will be posted.
Discussed sending an email to the Athletic Director to invite the football team and cheerleaders.
- Director of Fine Arts: Cathy Connor-Moen
Cinderella Musical: Opens this weekend, September 15-18th. Robert McDonaugh has done an incredible job with the production.
Pops Night: May 13, 2016. It was a great success. The music teachers have met and will announce the theme of this year’s concert soon.
PMA scholarships: Received thank you notes from scholarship recipients, Alexandra Dimitiou and
April Vacation Trip: A parent informational session will be scheduled to plan for the trip to Memphis.
Instrument Registration: Took place at elementary schools and CMS. Very pleased with turnout.
Steve Conant: MAJE State Finals to be held in Norwood on March 18, 2017 with a snow date of March 19, 2016.
President: Paul Campbell
Discussed getting a PMA debit card, credit card or prepaid Visa to be used to rent the UHaul for MB Shows. P. Cambell to investigate which one would be best for the organization (cash back incentives). In the meantime, C. Moen will use her charge card to rent the UHaul Truck.
Secretary of State Change of Officers Form to be sent to the Secretary of State as required.
- Action Items:
Quorum: 2016/2017 PMA Board, there are eleven (11) voting Board Members. In order to have a quorum, six (6) Board Members must be present.
NEXT PMA MEETING: October 12, 2016, NHS Library, 7PM
15 . Adjournment at 9:05 pm.
Minutes respectfully submitted by Stacey Lane.